The Courier recently interviewed me for an article on young adults in there 20s and 30s investing for retirement. Sara Arthurs did a nice job writing this article and accurately quoted what I had to say. Here are the key takeaways:
- Start investing now!
- Newlyweds should make saving for retirement a priority.
- Saving for your retirement is your responsibility, not your employer’s.
- Don’t depend on Social Security for your retirement.
- Invest in the stock market.
- Get help from an investment professional.
- Take full advantage of matching contributions your employer might offer to your company’s retirement plan.
- If you are eligible, invest in a Roth IRA
- Be patient with your investments.
- Aim to be debt-free in retirement.
You can read the full article for more detail on these points.